In the square above we see several pieces:
- Two squares - S1 and S2
- Four triangles - T1, T2, T3, and T4
- One parallelogram - P
Materials: One set of tangram pieces to experiment with.
1. Are the squares congruent or similar? ______________________________
2. The triangles are not all congruent, but they do pair up.
_______ is congruent to _____, and _____ is congruent to ______
3. Name two triangles that are similar but NOT congruent:
_____ and _____
4. If we put T1 and T2 together along the longest side it will look like a square. Which square will T1 plus T2 be congruent to? _______
5. You can arrange S2 and the small triangles T3 and T4 so that they combine in a shape congruent to P. Draw a picture below to show how to put S2, T3 and T4 together.
6. If we put S1, T1 and T2 together in a similar way, do we get a similar shape or a congruent one? ____________________
7. We can also form P from the triangles T1 and T2. Draw a picture below showing how to put the triangles together.