Course:Harris, Fall 07: Diary Week 1
Jump to navigationJump to search
- written statements, "why are you taking the course, or whatever"
- free time, look at Escher in offical site galleries
- what's neat about Escher?
- impossible figures
- evolving shapes
- tesselation implies geometry (ex: http://www.mcescher.com/ > Galleries > Switzerland and Belgium > Development II)
- what is a tessellation?
- straight sides
- repeated images (required only for "regular" tessellations)
- no gaps
- vertices meet vertices
- broke into groups to work on Quadrilaterals Exploration
- all groups finished question 1
- some success with question 2, most groups had some false starts
- finished up Quadrilaterals Exploration in 10-15 minutes, turned it in
- began Tessellations Exploration
- did first part of question 1--"non-proper" triangle tessellations--as a whole (after some exploring)
- most groups needed hints with question 2 (rhombuses)
- groups more or less finished questions 1-4; rest to be done next time