Frieze Group Exploration
From EscherMathJump to navigationJump to search
- Two copies of the Inca strip patterns, one printed on paper and one on a transparency.
- Cut the transparency sheet into strips, and use them to find and mark all symmetries of the five inca patterns.
- Which two of the five have the same symmetry group?
- Draw a few new frieze patterns.
- Draw these if you can:
- A frieze pattern with exactly one reflection symmetry.
- A frieze pattern with a glide reflection and at least one rotation.
- A frieze pattern with rotation symmetry, and exactly one reflection.
- Find a type of Frieze symmetry not shown among the inca patterns, and not shown in question 4. Draw an example of it.