Meet with Escher and his artwork.
To meet M.C. Escher, watch this brief video at the official Escher website.
- When did Escher live? How old was he in World War I? In World War II?
- Where did he live? What language did he speak?
- What does "MC" stand for?
- Go to the Escher Artwork Gallery on this site and look over his work. Which ones do you recognize?
Escher was a graphic artist, and he printed most of his work. Most of his prints were either woodcuts or
Smaller and Smaller is an example of a woodcut, and the page shows one of the wood blocks Escher carved to print it.
Castrovalva is an example of a lithograph.
- Find a few more lithographs and a few more woodcuts in the Escher Artwork Gallery
- Describe the difference in the appearance of woodcut prints and lithography.
- For Smaller and Smaller, how many wood blocks would Escher have made? What is the hole in the wood block for?
A sheet with answers to all questions.