This is not meant to be a complete reference to all books and/or articles relating to Escher, but a survey of some books, articles and website that may be useful to the reader.
Escher Related Books
These books are great resources. Over the years we have used Visions of Symmetry" and The Magic of M. C. Escher as textbooks for our course.
- Escher on Escher: Exploring the Infinite (Paperback) by M. C. Escher, J. W. Vermeulen, Karin Ford (Translator)
Publisher: Harry N. Abrams (1989); ISBN-10: 0810924145; ISBN-13: 978-0810924147
- M.C. Escher: Life and Complete Graphic Work by J L Locher.
Publisher: Harry N. Abrams (1992); ISBN-10: 0810981130;ISBN-13: 978-0810981133
- M.C. Escher : 29 Master prints (Paperback)by M. C. Escher
Publisher: Harry N. Abrams (1983);ISBN-10: 0810922681;ISBN-13: 978-0810922686
- The Magic of M. C. Escher by J. L. Locker
Publisher: Harry N. Abrams (2000); ISBN-10: 0810967200; ISBN-13: 978-0810967205
- The Magic Mirror of M.C. Escher (Taschen 25th Anniversary Series) by Bruno Ernst (Author), M. C. Escher
Publisher: Taschen; Taschen 25th Anniversary Ed edition (2007); ISBN-10: 3822837032; ISBN-13: 978-3822837030
- Visions of Symmetry - Notebooks, Periodic Drawings, and Related Work of M. C. Escher by Doris Schattschneider
Publisher: Harry N. Abrams; 2 edition (2004);ISBN-10: 0810943085; ISBN-13: 978-0810943087
- Adventures With Impossible Figures (Paperback)by Bruno Ernst.
Publisher: Tarquin (1987); ISBN-10: 0906212545; ISBN-13: 978-0906212547
- Impossible Worlds: Adventures With Impossible Objects / Optical Illusions (Evergreen Series) (Paperback)by Bruno Ernst.
Publisher: Evergreen;(2006); ISBN-10: 3822854107; ISBN-13: 978-3822854105
- Tilings and Patterns by B. Grunbaum & G.C. Shepard, W.H. Freeman and Company, New York, 1986, 700 pages.
With thanks to Doris Schattschneider for most of these.
- Coxeter, H.S.M. "Crystal Symmetry and Its Generalizations", in "A Symposium on Symmetry.The Transactions of te Royal Society of Canada LI: Series III: Section Three (June 1957): 1-13.
- Coxeter, H.S.M. "The non-Eucliden Symmetry of Escher's Picture 'Circle Limit III'." Leonardo 12 (1979): 19-25, 32
- Coxeter, H.S.M. "Angels and Devils." In The Mathematical Gardener, ed. David A. LKlarner, 197-209 & Plate IV. Boston: Prindle, Weberr & Schmidt, 1981. Reprinted as Mathematical recreations: A Collection in Honor of Martin Gardner, Mineloa, NY: Dover, 1998
Related Web Sites
Geometry Related Sites:
- [Jeff Weeks' Geometry Games ] Jeff Weeks’ Topology and Geometry Software. This includes the torus and klein-bottle games, Kali, Kaleidotile and more.
- [Spherical Easel] Spherical Easel is a program for creating interactive diagrams in spherical geometry.
- [Non-Euclid] A Java based program that allows one to explore hyperbolic geometry.
Escher Related Sites:
- [The Official Escher website] On this website you can find information about the use of M.C. Escher's work, a short biography, news, bibliography, links and some fun stuff like a Virtual Ride through some of his works.
- [Tilings and Tessellations from ScienceU] This site has basic tiling information, the 17 wallpaper groups (animated!) and aperiodic & Penrose tilings.